Archive for the ‘Historical Sites In Region VIII’ Category
- Provincial Capitol Building/ Sunken Garden and Mini Forest (Southern Leyte Provincial Capitol, Asuncion, Maasin City) – this government edifice is a reflection of Southern Leyte’s sovereignty as a province. This was completed in June 1972 under the administration of Governor Salvacion Yñuquez.
- First Mass Shrine (Magallanes, Limasawa Island) – Built on the very site of the first Christian mass in the Orient which was held on March 31, 1521 by Spanish priest, Fr. Pedro de Valderamma, this historical and religious site has become one of the visited spots in Southern Leyte.
- First Cross (Magallanes, Limasawa Island) – Retrace the historic footsteps of Ferdinand Magellan over the white beach, up to the 450 steps to where a replica of the cross the Spaniards planted on that fateful day in 1521.
- Shrine of the Holy Eucharist (Magallanes, Limasawa Island) – Declared as a Holy Shrine by the Catholic Church, this new religious site manifests the significance of the First Mass in our Christian life. It also serves as the church of the Limasawa Parish.
- Our Lady of the Assumption Shrine (Jalleca Hills, Mantahan, Maasin City) – Believed to be a project that started as a dream, the Our Lady of the Assumption in the Jalleca Hills gives a perfect view of the city’s business district and lush nearby hills. The freestanding statue can be viewed perfectly from port of Maasin.
- Saint Francis Xavier Pilgrimage Site (Hanginan, Maasin City) – Hanginan is a traditional pilgrimage site of most Maasinhons especially during the Lenten season. The one-hour hike to Hanginan might be tiring but would later be paid off after you receive the blessing from Saint Francis Xavier and after a cup of “kapeng binukbok” coupled with Hanginan’s famed bibingka (baked or steamed)
- Monte Cueva (Rizal, Maasin City) – A chapel-sized bulit inside a cave located on the top of a hill. A few hikes above it is a statue of the Our Lady of Assumption overlooking the heart of the city.
- Libagon Municipal Hall (Libagon) – This centuries-old well preserved structure gives a glimpse of our rich heritage.